[Scribus] Printing hopeless confusion

avox avox
Wed Sep 5 00:25:14 CEST 2007

John Jason Jordan-2 wrote:

> (All sizes below in inches, US paper sizes.)
>
> The job is a book cover. Page size is 9 by 12, landscape. This is for a
> book that will be printed half-letter, that is, 5.5 inches wide by 8.5
> inches high. Book covers must span both the front and the back, plus the
> spine, plus there must be a bit extra for bleed after trimming. I like 1/4
> inch extra all around for bleed. The spine will be about 1/2 inch.
> Therefore, the image size must be 9 by 12.
>
> The job will be printed on a Xerox Phaser 7400 DN. This printer can print
> right to the edge of the paper. It can also print on custom paper sizes up
> to 12.25 by 47.25. I have purchased cover stock and cut some of it down to
> 9 by 12. I could cut it to different sizes, as the parent sheets are 25 by
> 40. I have a 25 inch guillotine.
>
> I have created the cover in Scribus 1.3.3.8 (Ubuntu Feisty) and it looks
> great on screen. Printing is driving me up the wall.
>
> The problem is too many options, and many of them are not defined (no
> documentation). I haven't done the math, but there are at least a hundred
> different settings in the various print dialogs and some of them have a
> dozen different options. The possible permutations are more than I could
> try in a lifetime. At this point I have spent three hours trying, and I
> have a stack of about a hundred incorrectly printed copies. I could keep
> on trying, but it's time to ask for suggestions.

Scribus takes these options right from the PPD Ubuntu/CUPS provides for this
printer. You might want to check the Cups configuration if that is the
correct one.
There's a trick to use all default options from the PPD: specify 'lpr' as
alternate print command. That should print your file ok if you configured
your printer for your papersize correctly (the printer needs to know what
papersize is in which tray).

You might also try 'kprinter' as an alternate print command. KPrinter gives
you access to all PPD options but might do a better job than Scribus at
providing defaults.

HTH
/Andreas