[Scribus] Image frame doesn't make any sense to me

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins
Wed Sep 5 04:35:45 CEST 2007

2007/9/4, dax702 <dax702 at cox.net>:

> As far as I (a beginner who just needs to get work done) can tell, image
> frame is utterly useless in Scribus.  The image frame should adjust to the
> exact dimensions of the image you're placing. At the very least there
> should
> be an option to have the picture frame work in that manner. I just stopped
> to try and figure out the whole image frame thing and how it works with
> the
> properties dialog and no matter what I did, it would not insert the image
> at
> the image's actual size.

Hi,

Right click on the image to get the contextual menu. There you will find
many options...

There's no reason whatsoever (why I would) even have a resizable image frame
> for bitmap graphics as they're just going to pixelate and look awful if
> you
> try to resize them..  The bitmap graphic should be created to the size
> that
> is needed outside of Scribus, unless it's a vector graphic.  I may not be
> DTP guru, however, I know you're not supposed do a lot of resizing of
> bitmap
> graphics which the image frame makes you do..

Well, there are in fact a few good reasons... please read on!

Resize up to 125 % will *not* alter the image so much, provided you started
at 300 dpi... If you have to resize more, you still have the option to
re-scan or pick the larger format of the same image if possible, or change
your layout, or change your image, or accept the quality loss, or invent a
software that will allow to enlarge a picture beyond those limits, etc. :-)

Resize down to 10 % (can Scribus go lower ? can't remember) will not alter
the image at all. You only may end up with far more pixels than needed!

Crop or position your image into that frame, at the percentage you wish...

Put a frame around this image or apply any effect you want...

Apply a background color or alter opacity...

Rotate...

Duplicate...

Place the image wherever you need...

Scale vertically or horizontally... differently!

These are a few good reasons for which one would need to be able to resize a
bitmap graphic in Scribus (and why there are pic frames in Scribus)!

Have fun!

HTH

Louis