[Scribus] Printing hopeless confusion

Lars Behrens lars.behrens
Thu Sep 6 14:54:03 CEST 2007

Am Wednesday 05 September 2007 18:41 schrieb John Jason Jordan:

> 1) Adobe Reader on Ubuntu amd64 does not list the printers you have
> installed via CUPS. The only way to print is with lp or lpr, which
> cannot access the features of the printer. That is because lp and lpr
> are just too old. The reason CUPS printers do not appear in the
> drop-down list in Adobe Reader is because Reader finds the list of
> printers via certain 32-bit libraries, libraries which Ubuntu decided
> not to install in the 64-bit versions of Ubuntu. No 32-bit application
> has a drop-down list of printers installed in CUPS. I am hoping this
> will be fixed in Reader 8.1 for Linux, whose release should be pretty
> soon (the beta has been closed for a month). I know it will be
> available via rpm and deb, and I am praying that it will also be
> available in 64-bit versions. I put in a strong word about 64-bit Linux
> with several of the Adobe development team.

First thing, which you should check, as already mentioned: Do you have
kprinter? It is a KDE interface to cups which you can use to print from
acroread. If you don't have it, install it, if possible.

> 2) KPDF (as I stated earlier) does not list Custom as a possible page
> size, so I can print only to its list of paper sizes, none of which is
> 9 by 12 inches. It is a mystery to me why different applications
> implement their print dialog boxes with varying options, even though
> all are printing via CUPS.

Kpdf should offer all the options which are available by your driver. Are you
sure that the linux printer driver offers customization of the page size (I
doubt that)?

You can check that by pointing a browser to http://localhost:631/printers then
choose the printer and then click on "set printer options" (or something
similar got the german version here). If possible, set your desired page size
here, that should now be the default page size.

At linuxprinting.org I cannot find the Xerox 7740...

Cheerz Lars