[Scribus] Problems loading text into Scribus

Craig Ringer craig
Sun Sep 9 10:34:18 CEST 2007

David Bodwell wrote:
> I'm very much of a newbie at this DTP stuff, but I'm pretty darn computer literate.  I have to admit that Scribus has absolutely stumped me.
>
> All the documentation says that you can import OpenOffice.org text documents (.odt) directly into Scribus.  My problem is this:  I open a new Scribus document, insert a text box, them import my text file?so far, it works?but then when I go to that text box I find that ALL the text file is in the first page text box, all 40 pages of it!  No matter what I do, I can't seem to get this file onto multiple pages in Scribus, the way it is in the word processor.  HELP!

Scribus cannot import ODT documents as layouts. It can only import the
text from them. The documentation probably needs to be clearer about
this for new users.

You need to create multiple pages, create text boxes on the pages, and
flow the text to them by linking the text boxes. It's a layout app; it's
presumed that you won't want to just dump the text anywhere on the page,
but will have a specific idea of how you wish to place it.

Alternately, if you enable automatic text frames at document creation
time (it can not be done later) and import the text into the frame
that's created for you when the document is created, pages should be
created as required to contain the text.

It'd be helpful if you could describe your goal as well as your
immediate issues, since then perhaps better informed and more useful
suggestions could be offered.

> The second problem is that even if I COULD get it into multiple pages, Scribus strips ALL of the footnotes.  This is one I must be able to overcome to be able to use Scribus, as the text file I'm working with has numerous footnotes.

The missing footnotes are an issue with the Scribus importer. In many
ways Scribus really isn't ideal for long document work yet. I do not
know how to work around this if it can be practically worked around.

--
Craig Ringer