[Scribus] Publishing question

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Fri Sep 14 02:06:32 CEST 2007

Am Freitag, 14. September 2007 01:38 schrieb eklektik:

>    Hello,
>

>    I have some questions regarding publishing. I am in the process of
> creating a book about graphic techniques in scribus.
>
> I've already made lots of screenshots that I intend to use in the book as
> illustrations.
>
> The screenshots are made in imagemagick in high resolution output 300 dpi.
>
> But I have to reformat them, which I do in the gimp.
>
> Can anyone with experience advise me how the gimp images are going to turn
> out in the print since the gimp has only 8bit color depth.
>
> How is Scribus pdf output is effected by these image qualities.
>

>    I am going to publish the book with lulu and their faq says that the
> images can be saved in high resolution jpeg formats in order to keep the
> file size down.
>
> Does anyone has experience publishing in this image format?
>

>    Thanks,
>
>    jmak

Hi jmak

8 bit colour depth won't affect your printing result at all, since hardly any
print workflow I know of uses 16 bit. Even InDesign converts 16 bit images to
8 bit during PDF export. With respect to colour depth, you shouldn't
encounter any issues at all. There are other issues like colour space
conversion (RGB -> CMYK), though. Please make sure colour management and
Gamut warning are enabled in Scribus to check for possible issues.

As for JPEG, yes, you can use the format, but a high resolution JPEG probably
won't be of any advantage, compared to a compressed TIFF, both with respect
to size and quality.

HTH

Christoph