[Scribus] Problems loading text into Scribus

John Culleton john
Fri Sep 21 16:43:23 CEST 2007

On Sunday 09 September 2007 06:18:07 pm David Bodwell wrote:
> Thanks, Adreas and BOTH Craigs.  I haven't tried the v1.3.3.10svn yet, but
> Andreas' work around using HTML works quite well?IF you create the HTML
> document from a Microsoft Word .doc file, using Word, rather than from an
> OpenOffice.org .odt file using OpenOffice.orgWriter.  Both HTML file look
> good, but only the Word created one imports properly into Scribus.
>
> Now, if there was some way to keep those footnotes on the correct page.
> The final published version of the work is for popular reading and the
> general public does NOT flip to the back to read footnotes as the scholarly
> community does.
>
> Thanks again,
> David Bodwell
> Editorial Mazatl?n

There are horses for courses. If you want footnotes on page, with the space
for them automatically calculated, single or multiple TOC (summary follwed by
full) at this point some variant of TeX is the tool. I use the pdftex and
Context variants of TeX. For me LaTeX is too fussy, too verbose, too
constraining, and too dependent on multiple sty packages separately
maintained and documented.

Scribus is fine for newsletters, brochures, cocktail table type books full of
illos, and book covers.   It will be a while however before Scribus can
handle footnotes etc. or even paragraph justification with the facility of
TeX.  TeX has about a 20 year head start, and was designed specifically for
academic and similar works. Scribus has the visual approach and facility for
rapid and visual placement of illos etc.

If you want TeX with a graphical interface look into Lyx. But I prefer an
almost wysiwyg aproach with an editor and a pdf window open side by side.

--
John Culleton
http://wexfordpress.com