[Scribus] Congratulations and initial comments...

Craig Bradney cbradney
Sun Sep 23 22:56:12 CEST 2007

On Sunday 23 September 2007 22:47:25 Louis Desjardins wrote:
> Gregory Pittman a ?crit :
> > John Beardmore wrote:
> >> The first is the ability to embed images within .sla files.  At the
> >> moment, if I move a document, it seems to loose all the links to
> >> pictures as though relative paths were used to locate them.  While I
> >> accept the principle that a lot of disk space can be saved by referring
> >> to pictures elsewhere in the file system, this can be a nuisance when
> >> projects are being developed on multiple machines over multiple sites.
> >> For me at least, using the .sla files as a container that includes all a
> >> documents images would be a huge benefit.
> >
> > The "answer" to this is to use File > Collect for Output, which will
> > keep everything together. Moving things around is generally not so good
> > an idea anyway, but Collect for Output allows for some collaborative
> > work. I think it would help if Scribus used absolute paths for finding
> > images, but it uses relative ones.
>
> We have discussed on IRC to have this "Collect for Output" function be
> activated right from the start ? on the very first "Save" you do on your
> document ? so each time you use a font or an image, it gets
> automatically copied into the relevant subfolder into the "Collect..."
> one. This of course could be made as an option (but activated as the
> default settings).
>
> It doesn't seem to be filed as a RFE so far. Before I do so, any comment
> on that idea?

I dont like it - if I want to have my source images (could be hundreds of mb
per document, and used across many documents) spread across my network, then
thats what I want.

If we bring about a new option of zip-compressed collection format, like ODF
is, then this might suit.

Craig