[Scribus] Text and spell check

John Beardmore John
Tue Sep 25 21:54:32 CEST 2007

avox wrote:

> John Beardmore wrote:
>> avox wrote:
>>>>
>>> So we'd better use some sort of XML, no? :-)
>> ":)"  Indeed !
>>

>>> There are several useful workflows which would benefit from external
>>> texts
>>> and it will be implemented some time in the future.
>> Yes, though plain text might be simpler to deal with than XML ?
>
> Not really. Scribus needs to attach some formatting to the text, so plain
> text is unsuitable.
> Scribus would have to parse either XML or some other markup to generate
> paragraph breaks,
> tabs, pagenumbers or other formatting.

I suppose my point is that if I want to generate texts under software
control, it's much easier to do it by outputting ASCII plain text to a
simple file, that trying to insert it into Scribus XML.

As ever, there may be arguments for both options.

>>> Sounds like a good idea. Integrating aspell or some Unicode-savvy
>>> spellchecker shouldnt be a big problem and I expect one in the near
>>> future.
>>> Not sure about wriggly lines though...
>> Inverse flashing purple ?  Dancing talking paper clip ?

> In your dreams...!  :-)
>
> I meant to say that live spellchecking needs some more work since the view
> has to be updated. Classical spellchecking dialog is simpler to implement.

Agreed, though most users will probably prefer live.

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore, MSc EDM (Open), B.A. Chem (Oxon), CMIOSH, AIEMA, MEI.
Carbon Trust Consultant -  Energy Audit and Design Advice.