[Scribus] Congratulations and initial comments...

John Beardmore John
Thu Sep 27 02:37:39 CEST 2007

Asif Lodhi wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On 9/25/07, John Beardmore <John at t4sltd.co.uk> wrote:
>>> * In addition to the existing feature of creating a Scribus file,
>> introduce yet
>>>   another option - "Create Project..." - that will make Scribus create a
>>>   directory (instead of a single SLA file), bearing the Project-Name or
>> Scribus
>>>   file-name, and place all SLA files related to
>>>   the project in the project directory.
>> Including the .sla ?
>
> Yes. The suggestion is to create "a project" (in a project directory)
> and put SLA file in that directory AND provide the user "an option to
> copy the image-file to the project directory" upon insertion of each
> image in the SLA. That's when you try to insert an image into the
> current SLA, the Scribus should give you an option to copy that image
> into the project directory. That's how it goes in normal
> web-application development tools like DreamWeaver in which you also
> have to deal with external images. This way all the images, etc. get
> copied to the project folder and you can clearly see that "your
> project is the whole folder" and NOT a single SLA file - so you will
> remember to move the whole folder/directory instead of just an SLA
> file. Of course, you can do all that yourself - that is, create a
> project folder and move all the related images in that directory.

Yes -  this is what I'm doing now.

> Having Scribus do the same thing just adds to the usability and helps
> alleviate inconvenience.
>
>>> The project directory could be a local directory or one created in a
>>> remote server or whatever. Actually, this is just like the web
>>> application management
>>> feature present in Macromedia DreamWeaver (now owned by Adobe).
>> Not sure how this differs from the 'collection directory' idea expressed
>> earlier ?
>
> I haven't used that feature if you're talking about the "Collect for
> Output" option. But that creates a folder only when you use that
> option. I am suggesting to have Scribus create an SLA file in a
> project-directory right from the beginning and putting each image,
> that user inserts in the SLA, in the project directory.

I'd find that easier than marshalling all the files byt hand !

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore, MSc EDM (Open), B.A. Chem (Oxon), CMIOSH, AIEMA, MEI.
Carbon Trust Consultant -  Energy Audit and Design Advice.