[Scribus] Header lines

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins
Thu Sep 27 17:55:31 CEST 2007

2007/9/27, Dr. Werner Popken <Werner at stuerenburg.com>:

> [...]
> ;-)
>
> So it is a question of comfort if you know that the left page will
> give you the chapter you're in and the right page will give you the
> section. You will feel much more comfortably reading the book. You
> will know where you are in this structure without having to tediously
> find out yourself every time you want to know.
>
> Then there are footnotes which can be handled differently, on a per
> page basis, per section basis, per chapter basis or per book basis.
> Footnotes traditionally will be placed below the text on the page, if
> you use this approach. Recently I saw a solution where the footnote
> has been placed in the outer margin, which allowed for placing the
> footnote right next to the text where it stemmed from. Very nice!
>
> The outer margin is traditionally used to give an excerpt to the
> paragraphs on this page, sometimes only a couple of words, to make it
> easier to find something you read earlier and remember only faintly
> for an exact quotation.
>
> LaTeX not only cares for a bibliography and an index, but also for a
> list of pictures and a list of equations. This doesn't really relate
> very much to layout questions, but rather to the structure; in this
> sense, the table of contents-mechanism of Scribus definitely
> transcends the layout approach. I don't want to push Scribus into
> directions it isn't intended for, I just wanted to know if there is an
> easy approach to get what I want.
>
> Interestingly, the layout of books in certain parts of the market has
> changed significantly during the last 10 years, definitely due to the
> availability of powerful software tools. Personally, I'm not very fond
> of this development, especially when the design of books approaches
> the design of magazines which in turn tends to borrow heavily from the
> design of flyers. It ends up having lots of nonrelated elements on a
> page, pictures, boxes, symbols, shades, graphic elements, and some
> text as well trying to make its way through this maze ;-)
>
> At least the use of background images has diminished; background
> images were sometimes used to a degree that you could hardly read the
> text. It would be easy to implement something like that with Master
> pages ;-)
>
> >> Or is the scrapbook the tool to perform these repeating actions like
> >> placing text frames and placing a text frame and an image frame
> >> within? If so, is there a trick to place them exactly instead of
> >> pushing them around or correcting data via keybord in the properties
> >> page?
>
> > No, master pages ;)
>
> Well, as said above, I cannot edit any elements placed on master
> pages. I will try the Insert->Frame-method which will allow me to
> place a frame and an image frame on every single page, which I can
> manipulate later at will. At least I will have to change the image,
> and if I don't need an image on the page at all, it would be easy to

You can also use Page > Copy. Combined with the proper Master Page, this can
be useful in the case you are describing.

The Master Page is editable as a Master Page. If you need to change the
content, you need an extra Master Page. As I understand, you would have as
much left master pages as you have chapters and as much right master pages
as you have sections. This might sound like a lot but at the same time, as I
mentionned earlier, you can duplicate the master page. I don't see much
difference, actually, between having to edit the master page and having to
edit the actual pages in the book. I believe that master pages will save you
time.

Louis

Thanks a lot!