[scribus] Multiple instances of Scribus

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Mon Apr 28 23:00:26 CEST 2008

Gregory Pittman wrote:
> John Brown wrote:

>> Anyone can make a mistake. You might open a number of files at the same time,
>> so that you can copy and paste. You double-click on files in your file manager
>> one after the other. By the time that you get to 3 or 4, especially if the files are
>> not in the same directory, you might forget that you already opened a file.
>> The files that you are working on may be similar (different versions of your
>> masterpiece in progress) so that the fact that it looks familiar does not give you
>> a clue that it is actually the identical one.
>>
> As I said in my original comment, actual user instances should dictate
> what seems to make sense.
> In emacs, if you try to open a file already open, you will simply go to
> that file in buffer, not open the file from disk again, unless you open
> another instance of emacs. Is that what Scribus should do? Why?

Because it minimises the risk of you accidentally editing in one
instance of the editor, saving your changes, then closing another
instance with other edits and overwriting the first ones.

Cheers, J/.
Carbon Trust Consultant: Energy Audit, Carbon Footprint, Design Advice
Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme, (EEAS), Registered Assessor