[scribus] biz card w photo background

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Aug 1 14:45:20 CEST 2008

mike wrote:
> guys, here is the card i'm trying to do for my friend in panama (my first scribus effort!) ... what i want to do is get the measurements right to print this on 4 x 6 (inch) photo stock (4 up, so cards would be 2" X 3" each)
>
> that's what i hope to do, because 4 x 6 will cost me .19 cents each, as opposed to $1.49 each for 5 x 7 ... ya, i know 5 x 7 is a better size, but way more money!
>
> how do i get there from here (step by tedious step)?
>
> i receive my scribus in once daily digest, so if anyone can help me please write to my address AND the list, if you don't mind, so that i'll receive in real time...
>
> i've posted the card in the imagebin at:
>
> http://imagebin.org/23408

Presuming you can use a PDF to make these:

This is quite simple. Make a custom size document 4 in x 6 in. Make an
image frame 2 in x 3 in in the left upper corner, load your image,
resize/adjust as desired.
Now on top of this frame, make a text frame, enter your text, adjust
font and size of font as desired.
Group the image frame and text frame (select them both then Item > Group).
Now Item > Multiple Duplicate - make only one copy, shift X-Pos +3 in,
Y-Pos 0 in. Now select the all the frames, Group again, Multiple
Duplicate, this time with X-Pos 0 in, Y-Pos + 2 in. This should fill
your 4 x 6 space, then export to PDF.

The wiki can be a helpful resource:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Main_Page

I would think it wouldn't be too hard to find a free image on the web,
or if you have a digital camera, make your own, then desaturate it,
convert to greyscale, whatever you want.

Greg