[scribus] Ticket numbering

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Fri Aug 1 19:46:25 CEST 2008

Frank Cox wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to get numbers on tickets and it looks
> to me like the closest Scribus comes to this is automatic page numbering, which
> doesn't get me where I'm going.
>
> We're creating tickets for the Creek FM "50,000 Watts of Pow Wow Power!" Rez
> Rock concert (how's that for a title) and would like to be able to set up a
> sheet with a dozen or so tickets on it, then sequentially serial number each
> ticket in two places.  Nicer yet would be an ability to put sequential
> seat/row/section numbers on each ticket as well.  (Seat 1, Row 1, Section 1
> through Seat 150, Row 12, Section 4, or whatever -- I'm sure you see what I
> mean.)
>
> My initial idea is to use Scribus to create a plate to print the tickets, run
> that through the press and print the required number of sheets, then put each
> sheet through the printer and number them using a custom program that I haven't
> yet written.
>
> The better (less labour-intensive) approach would be to do the whole thing with
> Scribus and print the tickets and the numbers in one shot on the printer, since
> we've got to push everything through the printer anyway to get the numbering
> done.
>
> I'm open to brilliant ideas and suggestions....

When I made tickets for school events we printed the ticket background,
four up on A4 paper in bulk from Pagemaker, but Scribus would do fine.

We then fed the printer the same sheets again, overprinting the ticket
numbers, two per ticket, using a small postscript program. The
postscript program can be edited to alter the number of the first ticket
produced so you can print more tickets if sales go well etc.

I can probably still find the postscript if you want me to email it to
you ?  You'd need to edit it a bit to alter the ticket number locations
though.

Cheers, J/.
Carbon Trust Consultant: Energy Audit, Carbon Footprint, Design Advice
Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme, (EEAS), Registered Assessor