[scribus] Is Linux/Scribus viable? (was New Linux User...)

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Mon Aug 11 01:44:23 CEST 2008

John Brown wrote:
> Jan Schrewe wrote:
>> John Brown schrieb am Sonntag, 10. August 2008:
>>> Nothing in life is free. So-called free-to-air television is paid for by
>>> advertisers. The money to pay for "free" software has to come from
>>> somewhere. Why is it evil if it comes from the people who use the software?
>> It isn't - at least the way I see it. The evil part is the proprietary part of
>> the software. The part that is not open, where you have to deal with anoying
>> bugs and annoying designs and have no way to just fix something or you need
>> to adhere to absurd licenses.
>
> I understand the difference between "free beer" and "free speech".

I expect we all do.

>  I just wish
> that more people would be honest and admit that they would be rather less
> interested in "free speech" if they had to pay commercial prices for it.

But there isn't an inherent material / financial cost to speaking. There
is to making beer.

> Those
> dishonest people betray themselves by their constant references to  the evil M$.

I'm not sure about that. I wouldn't mind paying MS for those products
that I wanted if I wanted them. What I do mind is attempts to distort
and monopolise markets through the manipulation of other vendors, covert
APIs, and closed 'standards'.

>> After using linux for 12 years now I find it always absurd, when I can't check
>> out code from svn to get something I want or need, if I can't take a quick
>> peek in the sources to see how something works or why something isn't
>> working.
>>

> Open Source indeed has a number of advantages, but they are overstated.

Not IME.

> Possession of the source code is irrelevant if you do not have the ability to
> "take a quick peek in the sources to see how something works or why
> something isn't  working". 99.999% of the population would be able to do
> absolutely nothing with the source code or Windows MS Word, or whatever.

I don't think that fraction is right, but the point is that few that do
can deliver a big benefit to the many.

> On the other hand, anyone can type 'svn update', although building the typical
> open source program on Windows is harder than it is on Linux.

?  So ?

Cheers, J/.
Carbon Trust Consultant: Energy Audit, Carbon Footprint, Design Advice
Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme, (EEAS), Registered Assessor