[scribus] "ml"

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Mon Aug 11 23:19:20 CEST 2008

Oleksandr Moskalenko wrote:
> * John Beardmore <John at T4sLtd.co.uk> [2008-08-11 21:32:13 +0100]:
>> Oleksandr Moskalenko wrote:
>>> * John Beardmore <John at T4sLtd.co.uk> [2008-08-09 02:15:46 +0100]:

>>> Well, this puzzles me a bit. What other website is there? I think this is the
>>> only your comment I disagree with you about.
>> SourceForge
>
> Well, that's fine as we have those file hosted on the SF anyway.

Yes, but the naive user may not know which to start with, even though as
it happens one points to the other.

>>> Please take a look at the current set up. I hope it's more straightforward
>>> now. Thank you a lot for your comments. They were very helpful and honestly
>>> quite eye opening.
>> It's easy to play the naive user when you are a naive user !  And it's
>> great to be listened to !
>
> Ah, the naive new user is an invaluable commodity as they are usually too
> timid to speak up and quickly loose their innocence before they can contribute
> in a way you did. Thank you for speaking up John!

I've been in IT since 1984. Sometimes I switch into naive mode
deliberately. Other times I'm just naturally inept.

>> A few things still cross my min on pages like
>>
>>     http://www.scribus.net/?q=taxonomy/term/36
>>
>> I'd be inclined to put some white space under "Windows (TM)"
>> before "2008-07-17 1.3.5svn snapshot for windows".
>
> Done. I put a short description there and some space beneath it.

>> I suppose I'd also be inclined to put "2008-07-17 1.3.5svn snapshot for
>> windows" after "Download the Latest Stable Version for Windows". While
>> it's good to have the svns visible, do we really want them at the top of
>> the list ?
>
> Well, Drupal favors new articles before the old ones, so it'll stay that way.
> We'll de-activate older snapshot posts as new ones appear, so the structure
> will hopefully stay the same.

My concern is that people will end up downloading smapshots rather than
stable versions, especially if they don't know what an svn is and
they've just followed two signs for "Stable Release Announcement".

>> The other thing is that neither "2008-07-17 1.3.5svn snapshot for
>> windows" or "Download the Latest Stable Version for Windows" look like
>> links until you happen to hover over them. That means you have to move
>> the mouse around before you have the information to start thinking what
>> you want to do next.
>
> They are in different font, which I agree could be difficult to see for
> certain combinations of monitors and eyes. Let's leave it as is for now
> though.

Fair enough -  it's not show stopping, though none of this cosmetic
stuff is. It's just a question if tweaking the ergonomics is justified
by the usability benefit.

But enough middle management speak. Back to the report entitled

     "Bakewell Town and Community Trust:

     Peak District Spring Water Source Heating Opportunities"

Written in Scribs of course !

Cheers, J/.
Carbon Trust Consultant: Energy Audit, Carbon Footprint, Design Advice
Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme, (EEAS), Registered Assessor