[scribus] Installing Scribus in MEPIS 7 (Debian based)

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Tue Aug 12 03:47:27 CEST 2008

Okay, I finally have Linux (MEPIS 7.0) installed on a computer! I just
told the install program to use the entire HD so it would reformat. Now
I read an article that mentioned partitioning the hard drive so that
data was on another partition to make upgrades easier! Oh well, I can
repartition...

I've got a problem installing Scribus. I don't want to compile if it can
be helped, just want to install the program executables. I tried
Synaptic. The MEPIS repository has 1.3.3.6 as the newest. I tried
following the instructions on the Scribus website to add one of the
listed Debian repositories and got an error -- something about no public
encryption code?

So what's the easiest way to get Scribus 1.3.3.12? One of the Debian
sites list it as an unstable version, but I assume they are just behind
on their updating. I'll use a command line if necessary (just have to
open Konsole, right?), but would prefer not to.

Bear with me -- part of this is just learning Linux, I know!  I tried
adding the repository while logged in on the generic user account -- do
I need to be logged in as admin?

For the record, the computer is an AMD Athlon 1200 (900 MHz) /256K
cache, with 640MB DRAM and an ATI Rage 128 graphics card. Motherboard is
a FIC AZ31. Yeah, it's a bit dated, but I'm allowing for that when
judging software speed. I was running XP on it. MEPIS takes a little
longer to boot, I think, but seems to run a lot faster once it starts.
It doesn't take a great deal longer than XP, just a little longer...
could be me!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"