[scribus] Is Linux/Scribus viable? (was New Linux User...)

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Tue Aug 12 15:05:08 CEST 2008

> <snip!>
>
> Not to split hairs here[1], but CUPS has been around for well over a
> decade. Apple only bought CUPS a year or two ago. A better example
> might be Darwin, the OS X kernel, which, IIRC, is Open Source.

Well, if you take away the Aqua interface, I guess 95% of OS X is open
source... for me it is not much different from any Linux distro, except
that I sometimes miss a clear modular package-management-like system.
But even if you would browse the sources of e.g. windows, I am pretty
sure that you would find lots of open-source originated code. In our
days, because of networking etc., every system shows big unix
influences, and unix always based on open source (that is how it was
ported).

Anyway, about the discussion here, as it relates to scribus (and that is
the topic of the list)... I think there are simply different concepts of
using (and getting) software. Those who want to "buy" a license with
some phone hotline support for a specific time, in a specific budget,
can live happily with different commercial solutions. But you need a
budget - I loved Quark (in its earlier versions), but I would have never
paid that price, and I did not need because others paid for it. So as
long as I use scribus for private things, it is the only solution
anyway. If you have a business with either an it department (big
business) or a local shop doing system administration, set-up, support
etc, then scribus is great, as you can perfectly adopt it to your needs.
Meaning that you can track problems easily, add a feature or disable
another, install it on any platform you want to use (hey - how could you
ever do something as nice and clean as putting a scribus install on a
sun server and attach 50 ray clients to it with any commercial
competitor's software...), combine it and model your own workflow
environment with open source pieces...

So guys, just choose what you want. If you want to buy software in a
colorful box, do so, and try to send the comments and complaints you
post here easily to a commercial vendor - good luck on the phone
hotline. If you want to use (and that means learn and combine) open
source, feel free to ask, report bugs, give ideas.

CU Lars.