[scribus] Levels of knowledge

Roger hovergo at net-tech.com.au
Wed Aug 13 03:43:21 CEST 2008

 > When a  user grasps the difference between  OS and apps then comes the
 > > opening to the above discussion and the ability to move to cross
 > > platform apps.

Are levels of knowledge really that low ?

Yes they are at that level and these are the folk who buy a new or second hand
computer with xp or Vista because the computer repairer is God, the all seeing
all knowing guru.
Many folk I know have no differentiation between windows and the tools/software.
School kids particularly in state schools who are taught by largely under
resourced and under trained teachers also don't know. Yet others who are more
advanced with computers at home and smart friends, are articulate and knowlegable.

People in our region teach basic computer classes which vaguely touch on
operating systems but mainly teach the File, Edit, and so on of the ms Word
document and spreadsheet. If a person can get and send emails, type and print a
letter, thats as far as it goes.
I reckon I've just about covered the abilities of most of the people in my town
and the two neighboring rural towns.
So yes I would say that its a very basic understanding.
Maybe this is where  Open Source could focus but how, I don't know.
Roger