[scribus] 1.3.5 Windows spelling checker ?

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Thu Aug 21 17:01:09 CEST 2008

joseph harris wrote:
> From: "Frank Cox"
>> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 09:11:03 +0200 (CEST)
>> "Peter Nermander" <peter at nermander.se> wrote:

> So the objective of spell check in the layout frames seems to me a
> no-brainer; of course there may be problems getting there. But while
> agreeing with John B. about this I would point out to him (referencing
> our earlier discussion) that indeed this is possible in Serif PagePlus,
> maybe others.

There is certainly a spelling checker in InDesign 1.5. I don't know
about Pagemaker 7, but there wasn't one in Pagemaker 6.5.  I assume it's
well embedded in more modern Adobe environments.

> I am not now sure if Scribus aims to be 'all things to all users', or to
> serve the high end where layout issues are very important. I say this
> because I get a hint of workflow issues being decided without research
> into needs or wants.
>
> It is desireable, as the developers point out, not have a bloated basic
> program, a fault with serif and others. Noting the 'hidden' nature of
> many of the abilities of the program (from a lot of queries and answers)
> might there not be a need to create a more intuitive interface?

Possibly, though I don't think it's too bad.

Cheers, J/.
Carbon Trust Consultant: Energy Audit, Carbon Footprint, Design Advice
Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme, (EEAS), Registered Assessor