[Scribus] Thus is has been with Scribus.

John Culleton john
Mon Feb 4 19:43:24 CET 2008

On Monday 04 February 2008 04:43:03 am John Beardmore wrote:
> Roger wrote:
> > In reality it doesn't matter what the UI looks like, simply because the
> > ones who use it will become accustomed to it over time. It seems as
> > though many programs have  'all of the same problems', and this is
> > because all UI's are based on the "fundamentals" of program layout and
> > not on "how does the user actually use it".
> >
> > Thanks
> > Sonia
>
> OK, but for an app such as Scribus, how would you design the UI to
> reflect how it's actually used ?
>
> And there's a chicken and egg issue here as the way the user actually
> uses the software at the moment is coloured the present and historic
> UIs.  The real question is perhaps,
>
>      "If you were designing a ui for somebody who had never touched a
>      computer, where would you start to best meet their needs ?"
>
> Or is this hopelessly naive given how few people start from that initial
> state ?
>
> And do you make an app quick to learn by using conventional common
> controls, or do you make the ideal user interface for the job, which
> most user will not want to engage with initially ?
>
> This isn't a new dilemma in the GUI environment.  It seems analogous to
> the lack of uptake of powerful but cryptic tools like APL whose syntax
> scared off most users.
>

> Cheers, J/.

I am less concerned with interface than with capability and reliability.
Better H & J is a must, and I think the algorithms of plain pdftex (not
pdflatex which has too much textual overhead) represent a sensible path. If
the TeX approach works for InDesign can we settle for less with Scribus?

--
John Culleton