[Scribus] Problem knowing how to print a 3 fold leaflet

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins
Sat Feb 23 11:08:41 CET 2008

2008/2/22, Peter Nermander <peter.nermander at abc.se>:

> > pages the way they are meant to be printed.  Is this saying that they
> > are tiles to be joined in a long strip after printing?  I can see
> > that in the  case of a book or magazine, the pages are displayed in
> > spreads of two facing pages because that is how you lay them out,
> > particular if a graphic crosses the gutter (inside or binding
> > edge).  If my tiling supposition is correct, then displaying three or
> > four pages abutted together would also allow the placement of items
> > that cross the folds.
>
> Yes, as I understand it that is the purpose, to be able to "preview" the
> folds, how they will look after imposition. Placing items across folds is
> one feature it can be used for (I'm not sure in which versions that works,
> in earlier versions you had to do 2 copies of the item and place half of
> it "outside" each page.)
>
> This is of course confusing, since Scribus can not itself do the
> impositioning during print, but I think it can be corrected by just
> renaming the feature or explain it better in the dialog.

You are right, it is confusing. The idea beneath is great though: give the
user control over each panel by allowing them to layout separate pages. But
the feature in its actual form is not ready for work, imo. We need to be
able to print spreads directly from within the application.

I think it would be worth considering to simply let this feature as is in
the development series 1.3.5 and remove it from the stable series 1.3.3.x.
until we have the ability to print spreads. One goes with the other and
having only half of the feature leads to confusion.

There is a recent bug about this issue and it is acknowledged:
http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=5372

As for now, if one needs to see the folds, guides can do a wonderful job, at
no real cost to the user. It's really easy to set up a single page that has
the total width of the printed document (before folding) and to put guides
to determine the area of each panel.

If we decide to keep the folds options in the 1.3.3.x series, then yes, I
agree that a better explanation of the limits of this feature would help.

Louis

/Peter