[Scribus] Usability needs attention -- time for a feature moratorium?

Hedley Finger hfinger
Sun Jan 27 08:25:51 CET 2008

As a complete newcomer to Scribus, my expectations from working on
Macintosh (OS 9 for 6 years, OS X for 3), Windows, HP-UX with Motif,
Sun OpenLook, etc. with PageMaker, Illustrator, FrameMaker (three
platforms), various word processors, vector graphics apps, etc. are
frequently not met.  I am amazed how often seemingly commonplace
actions break with well-established precedents.

For example, you cannot copy from the layout and paste into the
Scrapbook but must right-drag.  (When was the first Macintosh released?)

If you do something in a palette or dialogue which changes an object,
you would think that Ctrl-z would restore the previous state but more
often than not, the key event is not trapped by the palette/dialogue
with focus but goes through to the layout/canvas/window where it
undoes some OTHER state.  I keep getting this all the time and am
beginning to think that Scribus is a secret cult where you have to
remember what you can do or not do in various contexts in order to be
accepted into the brotherhood.  Sadly, it will be a long time before
this novice becomes and acolyte!

The serious point I am trying to make is that perhaps it is time for
a moratorium on feature building for a point release or two while
usability issues are addressed, especially implementing orthogonality
across objects and controls.

Are there any other rank newbies who want to tell of their
experiences/opinions?

(It is the end of a long and tiring day ...)

Regards,
Hedley

--
Hedley Stewart Finger
28 Regent Street   Camberwell VIC 3124   Australia