[scribus] OT Web tools

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Jul 8 13:15:21 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 08 July 2008 05:18:29 am John Beardmore wrote:
> Sorry to post off topic !
>
> I've been asked to recommend some tools for secondary school
> e-media teaching.
>
> So far I've suggested Gimp, Inkscape and Scribus with a side order
> of Freemind.
>
> They would however like some simple web tools that a school might
> use under Windows, Linux, and possibly on Macs.  We don't want
> content management or sophisticated AJAX IDEs, just something
> simple for children to make reasonably modern html.  What might be
> out there ?
>

> Many thanks, J/.

I work in html itself so that the Vim editor, which does syntax
highlighting for many computer languages (about 100) does well.

 Bluefish is another editor with a stronger  emphasis on html.

Amaya is a more complete html tool that ensures standards-compliant
results.

 All these are available on all three major platforms, although as
usual Linux is the more friendly environment for Open source
products.

Quanta Plus is another and Linux-only html development tool. It is
closely integrated with the KDE desktop, a common GUI on Linux
machines.   It aims to beat all the competition, including
Dreamweaver.

IMO web design used to be simpler when html was the only
consideration. It has become more complex and files more verbose with
the addition of CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) and XHTML encoding.
With the new approach you really have to learn two languages, html
and CSS, and maintain two files, the web page proper and the CSS
sheet.

My sites are still crafted the easy way in straight html.  But I have
books on the other approach which I read during commercial breaks.
--
John Culleton