[scribus] OT Web tools

Asif Lodhi asif.lodhi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 00:45:25 CEST 2008

Hi John,

On 7/9/08, Asif Lodhi <asif.lodhi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/9/08, John Beardmore <John at t4sltd.co.uk> wrote:
>> ................ but I'm being pushed towards xhtml.
>
> Using XHML + CSS, you get
>
>          1) Higher positions in search engine results when customers
>              search for the type of products that you sell.
>          2) faster page loads as the page only contains simple/clean
>              XTHML with NO "HTML" presentational markup.
>          3) even faster page loads if you define styles for all of your
>              pages in a single CSS file. That CSS gets loaded & cached
>              by the browser the first time any page of your website loads.
>              All subsequent page loads (other pages) do NOT result in
>              separate loading of CSS (presentation/styling) - ALL use the
>              same CSS already cached by the browser.
>           4) XHTML is a step closer to XML which is better at defining the
>               semantics of the information that you wanna communicate
>               instead of the messed-up markup when you use HTML with
>               its presentational tags/attributes for styling (without CSS).
>           5) Easier subsequent maintenance of your website as designers
>               only have to change a single style (CSS) file when they want
>               to modify/enhance the styling of your website. On the flip
> side,
>               you are forced to change styling on EVERY single web page
>               when you use HTML with HTML presentational/styling (and not
> CSS).
>           6) Depending on how you structure your XTHML document (page),
>               you can also modify your web page WITHOUT incurring any
>               -ve impact on your CSS. That's the + of keeping things
> separate.

Adding to my earlier reply, I would like to add that your website gets
more standards compliant when you use standard XHTML and CSS. Even if
some browsers don't currently support some CSS property/selector, they
are bound to support the same in the near future in that standards
have to be implemented to stay in the users' good books. HTML is also
a standard - albeit obselete - but it does NOT give you the benefits
that I mentioned earlier. Say, you have displayed your address in <H1>
with lots of presentational tags (fonts, colors, etc.). So, when your
browser reads all this stuff, it doesn't have a clue as to what it's
actually reading. On the contrary, if you use the <Address> element
and use CSS to style (fonts, colors, etc.) then your browser does have
a chance of knowing that it's reading an "address". There are other
aural properties that "allow" your browser to "read" (speak!) the page
- good for those who don't want to read but listen ...

--
Asif