[scribus] Font bolding problem when converting to pdf

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Wed Jul 9 10:26:13 CEST 2008

Pierre Marchand wrote:
> Vous (John Beardmore) avez écrit :

>>> This is a common issue. Scribus currently converts TrueType and OpenType
>>> fonts to outlines on PDF export.
>> Need it always do this ?  It sounds like a pain for people making PDFs
>> for on screen use.
>
> 1/ By design, Scribus focuses on print output.

Yes -  it makes sense to focus on the situation where the highest
precision output is required, but that doesn't make it sensible to
(needlessly ?) compromise the way lower resolution output is handled.

We produce a lot of reports which get printed and they look very nice.
But for every one we print, 10 are probably downloaded and of those, we
hope most are read on screen. Low resolution PDF rendering is therefore
quite important -  at least to us.

> 2/ The issue is fixed in developpement branch lucky guys, hurra for Franz.

Does this mean it can never be changed or made switchable ?

Cheers, J/.
Carbon Trust Consultant: Energy Audit, Carbon Footprint, Design Advice
Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme, (EEAS), Registered Assessor