[scribus] scribus-ng becomes 1.3.5svn on Debian/Ubuntu

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 19 18:08:17 CEST 2008

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 11:25:02 -0400, Jeffrey Silverman wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 1:22 AM, Oleksandr Moskalenko
>  wrote:
>> Before people start crying havoc and tell me I didn't tell them - I've just
>> uploaded a new scribus-ng package into Debian/unstable and into the Scribus
>> Archive (Debian/unstable and Ubuntu hardy/gutsy only because etch and feisty
>> have too old Qt4 and lenny has a buggy cmake) today. This package is now
>> tracking 1.3.5svn and replaces scribus-svn package that used to do that. From
>> now on no 1.3.4 bug reports are accepted for my debian/ubuntu packages and we
>> are back to having only two packages - scribus and scribus-ng and their
>> corresponding scribus-doc and scribus-ng-doc documentation packages. By the
>> way, amd64 scribus-ng packages for Ubuntu hardy/gutsy are in the Scribus
>> archive as well thanks to the marvelous Opensuse Build Service.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Alex - your friendly Debian/Ubuntu Scribus packager.
>>

> Hi. What does this mean if I have scribus-ng currently installed in
> Ubuntu 8.04? If I do a package upgrade will it upgrade to 1.3.5svn?
> Also, what is the compatibility level of 1.3.5svn with earlier
> versions? (e.g. you can't open 1.3.4 docs in 1.3.3.x Scribus). Unlike
> most people, apparently, I found 1.3.4 to work much better than
> 1.3.3.x and pretyy much switched over to using that. I want to be able
> to open those Scribus files in 1.3.5 if possible.

For what it's worth, I added the Scribus repository in Adept Manager
(Kubuntu Hardy Heron). Scribus-ng appeared in the package list as "upgradable",
so I upgraded it and I am now running 1.3.5.

It can open 1.3.3.8 files. I don't see why it would be unable to open files created
by any previous version.
running 1.3.