[scribus] Aliasing and color problems

Fabien SK fabsk at free.fr
Sat Jul 19 22:43:02 CEST 2008

Dear Scribus users and developpers,

I would like to do a photo book for an online photo lab. Since the user
interface of this lab (photoweb.fr) is not really convenient (limited
layout possibilities, slow web interface), I tried to do it with
Scribus. Once it's done (in fact I have already finished), I will export
it to jpeg images, upload it and put one jpeg per page, and then my book
will arrive at my home.
My book is simple: on each of the 100 pages, black blackground, one to
four images (from my 8 megapixel camera) with a slim white frame

As some people said before, using high-res images in Scribus is really
very memory-consuming (my process is between 2 and 3Gb heavy!), but it's
not my main problem for today.

I am using version 1.3.3.11 (ubuntu 8.04) on a AMD64, 2Gb of memory. I
am also trying to use a version I compiled from the HEAD of the svn to
get around my problems.

So, in version 1.3.3.11, when I export my pages to images (jpeg or png),
I get some aliasing. I cannot see it if I display the pages at their
actual paper size on my screen, but if I display it at 100%, I can see
it. Maybe it will be visible on the book, maybe not, but I would not
like to take the risk (money is money).
I could generate higher resolution images and scale them down.
Drawbacks:
- more manipulation could give useless loss of quality
- uses a lot of memory and disk space
If I export to a SVG and render it to an image (with rsvg or the gimp),
it looks fine. Drawback:
- I can only export one page at a time, so I would have to use my
developer skills to do it for all the pages
- Not user-friendly

Then I tried with the latest SVN version. The aliasing problem was gone!
But now, the black of the background is not black anymore. It's:
- 0-9-14-91 (CMYK)
- 22-20-19 (RGB)

So if anyone could help me to solve one of these two problems, it would
be great:
- how to get around the aliasing in 1.3.3.11 in the image export
- how to make the black be black in 1.3.5 SVN

Cheers,
Fabien