[scribus] DPI and PDF question (Nigel Ridley)

Nik scribus at babel.homelinux.net
Mon Jul 21 08:18:44 CEST 2008

Hi Nigel,

My apologies if I am butting in here, but I thought I'd just add my
experiences.

I do exactly this regularly.

Yes you are correct that the graphics will stay the same size in the layout.

To get a reasonably-sized PDF for email, I do the following:

1. embed and outline all fonts (was "outline" called "subset" in earlier
versions of Scribus?)
2. resample images to 72 dpi (I do the same for EPS but we seldom
actually use EPS)
3. enable image compression, method=lossy - JPEG, compression
quality=High or Medium

These settings work well for our newsletter which is typically 12 pages
with about 20 images.
The end result is usually about 500kB (half a megabyte) in size.

Greater reduction can be achieved using lower quality image compression
(if you need it).

For us, the greater challenge actually is to get the high-quality
version of the document small enough to send through the printing
company's lobotomised email server.

Maybe you want to try this first, as it works all from within Scribus.
If the PDF is still too big, then try the command-line compression
suggested by Tino.

Cheers!
Nik