[scribus] Indic Support

Pierre Marchand capparis at free.fr
Mon Jul 21 12:25:34 CEST 2008

Vous (Animesh Das) avez écrit :
> Pierre Marchand wrote:
> > Vous (Jagan Nadh) avez écrit :
> >> Will scribus team have any plan to add Indic Support .
> >
> > There is.
> > Once 1.3.5 will be out (soon! soon! soon! - crowd shouting), it will
> > become top rated task, at least for me. So, expect experimental support
> > before the end of the year and at this point, advises from advised people
> > would be very welcome.
> Is there any possiblity to do the process more faster?

As avox said once when I asked the very same question: "Yes, help to release
1.3.5" :)

> Is it possible to
> use ICU as the rendering engine,as ICU is Indic text supported.

Scribus will primarily use a third party library. There are 3 possibilities
I’m aware of:
1/ Harfbuzz - the community choice, not publicly released yet.
2/ ICU - supported by a big company, working.
3/ M17N - outsider in this area, but I like their DB based system.

TBH, as I already did it for fontmatrix, I would be tempted to offer choice to
the user and support both (at least ICU & Harfbuzz). What’s pretty sure is
that OpenType support will be achieved through Harbuzz OT processor module,
even if ICU or other is used for shaping.

Pierre Marchand