[scribus] Spaces

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Mon Jul 28 15:09:04 CEST 2008

Hedley Finger wrote:

> Craig:
>
>> F.Harr at softhome.net wrote:
>>
>>> Then what do you do?  All I want is an em-space, it's not like I'm
>>> asking for a fractur Euro-sign.  Could this capacity be added?  You
>>> could call it a "quad" space and give the user the choice of making it
>>> as many ems or ens as they wanted.
>>>

>> It does seem like something that'd be fairly reasonable to emulate based
>> on the width of the normal space if the font doesn't provide the
>> enhanced spaces.
>>
>> This might be a good item to file in the bug tracker with severity
>> 'feature' so it doesn't get forgotten.
>>

> Or, if a particular font didn't have the full range of typographic
> spaces, have a default full-Unicode font shipped with Scribus and
> substitute its typographic spaces, e.g. em quad, en quad, thick, mid,
> thin, and hair.  Then, if the preferred font is changed and it has
> typo spaces, replace the default substitutes with the proper spaces.

It's a bit more tricky than that, since spaces, like other glyphs, are
font-dependent, so they don't have a set size. Perhaps best to create
some other kind of space(s), set in Preferences as a percentage of font
size. What to call them is unclear, but I don't think they should be
named an em-space (for example) if they're not a true em-space.

Greg