[scribus] Master Pages

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Jul 30 14:56:49 CEST 2008

Louis Desjardins wrote:
> Terry Green a �crit :
>> Hi, I am an Indesign User but have switched over to Ubuntu and have
>> started using Scribus, how do I edit the Text Frames and Image frames
>> on each page that I have created on the Master Page,
>
> Hi Terry,
>
> In Scribus, the elements on a Master Page are not editable outside the
> Edit Master Page mode. This means that you won�t be able to put an
> empty text or image frame on the Master Page and further import
> content in those frames. They will appear empty and uneditable on the
> created pages. However, you can put content in those frames when in
> the Edit Master Page mode and this content will be present in each
> page where you apply this Master Page.
>
> Think of the Master Page as the underlying layer of your pages, that
> holds the unmovable *content* of your layout.
>
> This doesn�t mean you can�t achieve what you want to do with Scribus.
> More below.
>
>> I keep a record of members of a group and print a directory of the
>> members which has a photo of each member plus all their details and
>> other information. To keep it all consistent in Indesign I create the
>> Text boxes etc on the master page then just make a new page from that
>> and then place the photo and detail etc into the boxes and frames
>> based on the Master Page, but I dont seem to be able to do this in
>> Scribus is this possible,
>
> The good news is this is possible in Scribus! Create a new page in
> your document (not a Master Page) and place your empty text and image
> frames where you need them. Once you are done, go to Page > Copy and
> create as many identical pages as you want. Then add your content.
>
> At this point, the Page > Copy will have the same result as if those
> frames were created as ID or QXP Master Pages. But... (again, more
> below).
>

>> that way if I have to re-arrange any of the elements on the page I
>> just do so on the master page and all pages (over 60 ) are then
>> re-arranged the same.
>
> This is not yet possible in Scribus.
>
> The following advice won�t solve all cases, but I would suggest you
> make a couple of tests with actual text and pictures, and that you
> print those test or at least make PDFs out of them in order to make
> all decisions on your layout prior to start importing data into it.
> More thinking and testing upstream will save you time downstream.
It may be that what you want to use is a combination of Master Pages for
truly static elements and Templates for empty layout elements (frames of
various types) to which you can freely enter text or images. Keep in
mind that you can have as many Master Pages as you want, perhaps some
being small variations of others.

Greg