[scribus] Editing in a Text box

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Tue May 6 02:12:46 CEST 2008

Roger wrote:

> The only way I could get text box editing to work -sort-of-ok is to zoom in on
> the text to about 150% or more, even 250% and edit the offending bit of text
> then zoom out again. This tends to reduce the glunkiness.

It certainly seems to help with mouse responsiveness.  Maybe it just
makes for more accurate positioning ?

> The Story editor seems to me to be sort of like Gedit in Linux or NotePad in
> windows but permits a few extra functions.
> One anomaly between the Story Editor and the Text Box editing is that fonts,
> type, size, etc don't show up in the Story Editor and changes made in the Story
> editor cannot be changed in the text box Properties dialog.
> Another would be to set the text font say Verdana 8 in the Story Editor but when
> a small change is needed in the text box,  Properties>Text>Font displays the
> default font not the story editor font. If the font is changed in the Text box,
> which is difficult unless I call up the Story Editor, select the offending part
> and make the changes, it is not displayed in the Story Editor.

I'm a bit wary of the story editor too.  I made a couple of styles which
worked OK, then added a third one, and found that when I tried to apply
it to a particular line, it would apply it to another one instead !

Most odd.  I'll see if I can pin this down to a particular bug.

I've also noticed that if I edit the story for an empty text box, it
won't populate the styles pane for some time, but when I've put in a
fair bit of text, it suddenly does.

Cheers, J/.
Carbon Trust Consultant: Energy Audit, Carbon Footprint, Design Advice
Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme, (EEAS), Registered Assessor