[scribus] Drat !!

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu May 22 20:52:42 CEST 2008

On Thursday 22 May 2008 09:47:37 am S B wrote:
> Frequent saves!!!
> Scribus still crashes occasionally.  I find that the backup
> facility is very helpful, and I've had to use the emergency backup
> from time to time.  If I recall correctly, you can have Scribus
> backup every few minutes or so--hardly a high price when you
> consider the potential loss of data. Now if someone will tell me
> how to get a month or so of Scribus documents back from a failed
> hard drive....??? (now I backup more frequently...are you
> surprised?)
> Steve B.
>
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 5:14 PM, John Beardmore <John at t4sltd.co.uk> wrote:
> > :)    So Scribus doesn't attempt to recover the state of a
> > : document that
> >
> > was being edited when it crashes then ?
> >

> > Cheers, J/.
> > --

I have two hard drives, and use a surge protector. The newest/biggest hard drive is for work and the older/smaller one is for experiments with different distributions and more pertinently for my two backup partitions.  Overnight my work files (/usr/local and /home ) are backed up to partitions on drive number 2.

About every three years I buy a still newer and bigger drive. The oldest drive is retired, the remaining drive is demoted to backup duty and the newest is now the daily work drive.  I buy hardware from Tiger Direct.

I have a mid-tower computer and I run Linux primarily.  With a laptop and/or MSWin things get more complicated.

I only lose files through gross stupidity.  No hard drive failures since I went on a three-year rotation.  Hardware is cheap, data is (or are) expensive.

--
John Culleton