[scribus] Ping Oleksandr Moskalenko re SK1

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed May 28 01:39:25 CEST 2008

On Tue, 27 May 2008 11:14:11 -0700 (PDT)
avox <avox at arcor.de> dijo:
> John Jason Jordan-2 wrote:
> > I understand Oleksandr is familiar with SK1, an image editing program.
> > I discovered SK1 while searching for something that will open
> > CorelDRAW .cdr files.

> There's also UniConvertor from the same authors as sk1. See also our GSoC
> project:
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/GSoC_2008_Accepted_Applications#UniConvertor_and_GraphicsMagick_integration

Andreas,

It sounds like Scribus eventually will benefit greatly from
UniConverter and ImageMagick.

In the meantime, I cannot install UniConverter (or anything else on the
SK1 site) for the same reason I cannot install SK1 - that is there are
no 64-bit .deb files, and no instructions for how to install from
source. There is an python install script that I tried to run. It ended
in about a dozen error messages. SK1 appears to be installed, but it
won't launch, and there are no error messages when I try to launch it
from the command line.

In the meantime I tried to take my CorelDRAW clipart CD to the
university, but university computers don't have CorelDRAW installed. I
thought I remembered that Illustrator can open .cdr files, but the
current version on the university computers cannot. Finally I asked on
a local Linux e-list that I subscribed to and found someone who had an
old Windows computer with CorelDRAW installed. I sent them the file and
they converted it to Adobe Illustrator format for me, so now I have
what I need.

SK1 or UniConverter would have saved me a lot of hassle if only I could
figure out how to install one of them.