[scribus] Different forms of pdf file.

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat Nov 1 22:47:13 CET 2008

John Culleton wrote:
> What are the pluses and minuses of using pdf 1.5 versus pdf 1.3 for
> Scribus output.   For example are there differences in
> transparencies, gradients, layers etc.?

PDF 1.5 adds layers capability. Transparencies began with 1.4, and in
more advanced versions, so if you need transparency, 1.3 is out.

I think all can handle gradients if encoded properly. As we know,
Scribus can sometimes have trouble with certain SVG gradients.

The minus for more advanced versions like 1.5 has to do with whether
viewers or your commercial printer can handle the job. Apparently, even
Adobe Reader 8 can't even handle all of the features of 1.5.

Greg