[scribus] Different forms of pdf file.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Nov 13 04:39:26 CET 2008

On Saturday 01 November 2008 05:47:13 pm Gregory Pittman wrote:
> John Culleton wrote:
> > What are the pluses and minuses of using pdf 1.5 versus pdf 1.3
> > for Scribus output.   For example are there differences in
> > transparencies, gradients, layers etc.?
>
> PDF 1.5 adds layers capability. Transparencies began with 1.4, and
> in more advanced versions, so if you need transparency, 1.3 is out.

Thanks. I know that 1.3 treats transparencies as opaque objects and
1.4 treats them correctly. But some of my friends (?) on another
group question whether or not Scribus 1.4 output with overlaying
elements (not layers) is properly flattened or must be run through
Distiller to flatten it before printing. I think I know the answer
but I would like confirmation that the 1.4 output is properly
flattened as it comes out of Scribus.

Thanks in advance for your help.
--
John Culleton