[scribus] Vector in PDF ?

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Fri Nov 14 09:20:04 CET 2008

> 2008/11/13 Peter Nermander <peter at nermander.se>:
>> It is useful to know that Scribus (as far as I know) uses
>> ghostscript for
>> this import. To see if the file renders correctly by ghostscript you
>> could
>> use gv or GhostView.
>>
>> If they can not show it correctly, Scribus can not rasterize it
>> correctly.
> Well, that's why i'm worrying.
>
> A little "test", one bar "music":
> PS by LilyPond: http://brownian.org.ua/plain/scribus/first-barno.ps
> (468K)
> PDF by LilyPond: http://brownian.org.ua/plain/scribus/first-barno.pdf
> (20K)
>
> PS was imported into Scribus document and exported as PDF:
> http://brownian.org.ua/plain/scribus/first-barno-scribus.pdf (17K)
>
> Note stems... So, first two files look good in ghostview, kpdf etc.
> and acroread.

Yes, but if you magnify the imported ps in the Scribus document, the
irregularity is in the ps import.

Exporting that as a PDF faithfully reproduces the ps irregularity

Maybe a faulty ps importer for Scribus. Okular when importing the ps
into pdf does the same.

I tried importing it into Lyx, but subsequent processing generated an
"Unable to determine size" error. Maybe there is a clue?

Perhaps it is a Lilypond oddity?

Scribus 1.3.5svn and GS 8.63