[scribus] Confused on how to insert/delete pages

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Mon Nov 17 03:34:59 CET 2008

Gregory Pittman wrote:
> Mark F. wrote:

>> What has to be another very basic challenge....
>> I'm putting together a book with the usual double-sided pages.
>> But I find that if I insert a single page between two existing pages, the
>> contents on all
>> subsequent pages shift due to being put onto an opposite side page.
>>
>> If I insert two pages, this doesn't occur because subsequent pages are
>> shifted to a page on the correct side.
>>
>> The same problem occurs when moving pages, or any other operation that
>> involves
>> changing around the order of document parts.
>>
>> Deleting, adding, and moving pages is such a common operation that I
>> realize
>> I have
>> be totally missing something elementary.  How do I ensure that all pages
>> will remain with their correct side, whether it be LHS or RHS?
>>
>> Or is there a way to realign arbitrary ranges of pages?
>>
> I'm not quite sure what you expect to happen,

I guess what he's hoping is that if different margin guides are applied
by left and right master pages, the page content, which is generally
aligned to these guides would be automatically placed with respect to
the guides that are applied when single new pages are inserted.

I can see what he means, and in the general case I suspect it would be
useful.

 > to allow 2 left-side pages
 > or 2 right-side pages in a row?

It can happen if you have to add a section.  Odd numbers of pages are
more of a pain though.

 > I think you just illustrate the
 > challenges of layout, and what you really want is for the content to >be
 > reasonably stable before you begin laying out the pages.

Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.

There are those of us that prefer to develop docs in DTP because
although the sort of problem identified above can be a pain, it's a mild
one compared to Word reformatting the document just because you select
another printer !!  And OOs layout engine is just a pig for anything
complex !

Cheers, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor