[scribus] Black isnt black -- scribus Digest, Vol 8, Issue 39

avox avox at arcor.de
Thu Nov 27 15:19:44 CET 2008

Pedrie Roberts-2 wrote:

> When I export from Scribus (whether as PDF or image format - tested it
> as PNG) it seems that the program does not export black as 100% black,
> but rather as about 90% black. Some of my work I actually had to
> reopen in Gimp and paint the black black but, of course, this is not
> possible for a PDF and we use mainly PDFs. Is there some setting I
> have to change when exporting, or is it a bug in the program?
> Help appreciated.
> PAR

This should be in the the FAQ.

100% black in the CMYK color space is not 100% in the RGB colorspace.
CMYK knows some blacks "blacker", which also have  a C, M and Y
component in it. So CMYK (100, 100, 100, 100) would be mapped to
RGB black, but the normal CMYK black (0, 0, 0, 100) is not.

So if you export to RGB (all PNG are RGB and PDF if you export for
Screen/Web),
you should not use Scribus' std black, which is CMYK (0, 0, 0, 100), but
define
your own RGB black as (0,0,0).

/Andreas