[scribus] Gimp/Ubuntu.

Jeffrey Silverman jeffrey.d.silverman at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 03:21:24 CET 2008

Not sure I understand your question, but I'll take a stab.

Linux distros often don't have the latest version of a particular package --
and Gimp is an especially good example -- unless you upgrade the whole OS.
So, for example, the newest version of GIMP you are ever likely to get
through Ubuntu's package manager for Ubuntu 8.04 is GIMP 2.4.X. The X may
get upgraded but the .4. part probably won't. The reason is usually because
of all the various dependencies. If you upgrade to Ubuntu 8.10 --and you may
want to for a variety of reasons -- then you get Gimp 2.6.x.

Now, a rolling-release distro like Gentoo is different. But I don't
recommend Gentoo for those switching from Windows.

later...

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Henry W. Peters <hwpeters at jamadots.com>wrote:

> Please excuse the slightly off topic question, but I looked most everywhere
> I could find on Gimp's web site & could find no discussion/contact means.  I
> downloaded the latest Gimp for Windows (it included an installer, & I use
> XP, dual boot) & it now looks to be a TERRIFIC upgrade (preliminary
> opinion)! Trying to go toward, as much as I can, to Linux (Ubuntu 8.04.1,
> currently), I sought an equivalent upgrade for the Linux distro. It appears
> there is none... silly me, I thought it was a predominantly Linux oriented
> program?
>
> Any link to a Gimp discussion list would be much appreciated. Thanks much.
>
> Henry

Jeff Silverman
jeffrey.d.silverman at gmail.com