[scribus] German Umlaute - red squares

maltefiala maltefiala at gmx.at
Thu Oct 23 12:30:58 CEST 2008

maltefiala wrote:
> > Using ubuntustudio 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24.19-rt , some fonts (purisa, and others) in scribus show umlaute as red squares, altough they show up as normal in Specimen-Font-Previewer.
> >
> > Do you know how to make it work?

Maybe not quite enough information. You're talking about the umlaut not
showing up in the text frame or Story Editor? What about when you use
Insert > Glyph? Can you see it in the dialog?
Story Editor uses its own font, and sometimes the SE font does not have
the glyph even though your chosen font does. And the opposite can occur
also.

You may also have to check to see if Scribus is finding your font: File
 > Preferences > Fonts. Scribus is picky about fonts.

Greg

----

I am using Scribus 1.3.3.11. Umlaut are showing up as red squares in Text Frames. They do show up normally in Story Editor. Interesting to say, I am not even able to write umlaut in certain fonts. What I can do is write them in another font and change it afterwords. But that is not making sense as it's showing up as red squares in Text Frame and as well when converted to PDF. But, as I said, they show up as normal in Story Editor.

Font is installed and seems to be working properly, regarding to the Font-Preferences.

Thank you for your reply,
malte