[scribus] Using Scribus for a newsletter

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Sep 19 21:12:39 CEST 2008

Joe Ward wrote:

>> Gregory Pittman wrote:
>> I think now I may understand where you're conceptualizing this
>> incorrectly.
>> When you get the next template, you are starting a new document, so
>> then when you convert to a master page, it applies to that new document.
>>
>> Master pages cannot exist outside of the context of a document, so if
>> you close the document, you have closed the master pages associated
>> with it.
>> What you can do is to click Edit > Master Pages... and then import a
>> Master Page from another document, so you can easily make use of
>> Master Pages from elsewhere.
>>
>> Just because you have created or imported Master Pages doesn't mean
>> you are necessarily using them. They must be applied to your Document
>> page. A new document by default will have the 'Normal' Master Page
>> (blank), which you can then switch to one of your choice (you cannot
>> rename this Normal page, and you cannot name one of your custom
>> Master Pages as 'Normal'). A given document page can only have one
>> kind of Master Page associated with it.
>>
>> Greg
>>

>        "Conceptualizing incorrectly." That's a kind way to put. But it
> sure is true.
>
>        So, are you telling me I have to start the newsletter with a
> normal template, and then import the template I want, to replace it --
> and keep doing that with each of the pages?
In many, perhaps most cases, you will want to design your own template,
in other words, create a new document layout with all the fixed content,
like headers, maybe Styles, etc., then save it as a template you can use
later. The sample templates are available largely for ideas, and for
most people will require editing, removal of a lot of arbitrary content,
so is this worth all that effort?

You can import pages from other documents: Page > Import, which may be
some use to you. As stated above, you can import Master Pages as well.

Greg