[scribus] 1.3.5 32-bit deb to install on Hardy?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Apr 3 19:06:25 CEST 2009

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 09:01:18 -0600
OM <malex at scribus.info> dijo:

> * John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> [2009-04-02 18:52:08 -0700]:

> > Actualy, it was me, but I was trying to install it on Intrepid. I
> > succeeded. But I am trying to troubleshoot some font issues on
> > Intrepid, so I installed Hardy 32-bit in VirtualBox. Now I want to
> > install 1.3.5 on Hardy, but the sources list is not working. I changed
> > it from "intrepid" to "hardy," but it still does not see 1.3.5.

> It's not the "sources list" that is not working, but the fact that Hardy's Qt4
> is too old for the current scribus 1.3.5 sources, so I stopped providing
> scribus-ng package for hardy. Intrepid is the release to use for Ubuntu or use
> ANY one of the three Debian branches, which is one of the reasons I recommend
> Debian over Ubuntu for doing actual work as opposed to home entertainment.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Well, I was not actually planning to use it on Hardy. I have a
completely different motivation.

While doing a short textbook in OOo 3.0.1 on Ubuntu Intrepid I
discovered that characters from a font that I have used for years were
dropping out in the printout when I applied bold and/or italic. (I
believe I posted about this issue here previously.)

I have confirmed that in OOo sometimes the characters drop out on
screen (become white boxes) and other times OOo seems to substitute
some generic glyph or a glyph from some other font. KWord, Abiword and
Scribus are much better because they do not substitute - therefore you
know for sure you are going to have a problem.

Yet in all cases the glyphs do exist in the bold, italic and bld-italic
fonts as well as the regular. I am a linguist, so the characters I am
using are from the IPA and Combining Diacriticals block. And the fonts
I am using definitely contain the glyphs. As an example, copy and paste
this word into Scribus, then apply bold and/or italic: [bɪt͡ʃ].

I am trying to figure out who to blame for this. Since it happens with
various fonts and it happens with various applications, the problem is
not in the fonts or the applications. My current #1 suspect is Gnome,
but it may also be something in the kernel. Therefore, I have been
trying different distros of different ages to see if I can find one
where the problem doesn't happen. Then I can figure out what is
different between that distro and the ones where it happens. For
example, later today I am going to try Kubuntu Intrepid. The only
difference between that and my computer is KDE. Therefore it should
either convict or acquit Gnome.

And I have a book cover that I created in 1.3.5 on my Intrepid computer
which has some of these font issues. That is why I keep trying to
install 1.3.5 on various distros - so I can open my book cover in it
and see if the problems persist. But it's not critical because I can
just create a new blank document in whatever version of Scribus is
available in the distro's repositories.