[scribus] PDFX1A

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Tue Apr 7 21:15:30 CEST 2009

Am Dienstag, 7. April 2009 18:48:57 schrieb John Culleton:

> The only sure  way I know to get to this obsolete but
> required format is via Adobe Distiller.  My alternate
> recommendation is to  save the file selecting the pdf 1-3
> standard in Scribus. To flatten it load it into Open Office
> Writer, save to a print file, and then use the Ghostcript
> script ps2pdf13 to put it back into pdf form.

No that's a pretty odd and unreliable way.

To create a PDF/X-1a compliant file one has to:

1) Embed all fonts (if that's not possible, they can be converted to outlines)

2) Use PDF version 1.3 for export

3) Convert all colours to CMYK (output target "Printer")

If the file contains transparencies, export to PDF 1.4, open the PDF in Adobe
Reader and print to a PostScript file. Then use ps2pdf13 on the command line
to create a flattened PDF 1.3. PDF/X-1a is a subset of 1.3, so that a printer
that requires X-1a shouldn't have any issue with your file.

HTH

Christoph