[scribus] Formula in 1.3.5 (bug)

avox avox at arcor.de
Tue Apr 7 23:39:52 CEST 2009

Marcel Stimberg-2 wrote:

> Hi all,
> I just jump right into the discussion:
>
>> it let's pdflatex generate a pdf and then embeds the resulting pdf into
>> the
>> pdf.
>
> Why does scribus do that...? If I understood correctly, the embedding of
> PDF
> is still experimental. Then why is the LaTeX renderer not just rendering
> eps
> (or, say, svg) instead - importing eps as a vector format seems to work
> fine, right? Where is the advantage of creating a PDF in the first place?

LaTeX frames / Renderframes are just a special variant of imageframes. They
only work with external programs that produce files that can be placed in an
imageframe. If you place an EPS in an imageframe, it will also be rasterized
with
ghostscript (In fact we use ghostscript to convert EPS -> PDF and embed that
if PDF embedding is enabled)

OTOH EPS *import* produces native Scribus objects. EPS import is still not
100%
complete and importing text uses lots of memory. We don't use this path for
imageframes since rasterizing with ghostscript is 99.99% safe.

/Andreas