[scribus] Newbie Questions About Spreads

wingsgroup techsupport at wingsgroup.org
Thu Apr 9 21:06:39 CEST 2009

Gregory Pittman-3 wrote:

> wingsgroup wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I know this is a big project! %-| Hopefully, it will all turn out
>> okay.
>>
>> I am using Scribus 1.3.3.12, so I will look into using the bleed marks.
>> Is
>> there a tutorial somewhere? I already re-sized a few pages to include the
>> extra .25 that the printer (Lulu.com) requires, but I suppose it would be
>> easier to not have to resize the rest.
>>
>> I did make a couple master pages and the double-sided pages are not
>> displaying a gap between...they butt up against eachother...so I guess I
>> am
>> good there.
>>
>> As for the guides and margins....That's another thing I guess I'm
>> confused
>> about. Once I put the picture across the page, it covers all those. How
>> do I
>> make them visible so I know "where I am"? I was thinking it would be like
>> other programs (like document programs) where the margins are set and it
>> does not allow you to go into them. Sorry if these are stupid questions,
>> but
>> I'm just a little confused about the function of those.
>>
> The script runs itself and does the work. You can check the Script Info
> (Script > About Script...), which shows some explanation. What the
> script does besides making the bleed is to eventually make individual
> page PDFs into a directory you specify. If an image frame overlaps a
> left and right page, it will appropriately take care of duplicating the
> areas to be trimmed, so you just make one frame that overlaps the pages.
>
> I would suggest just trying it out with a simple test document so you
> can see the end result. You won't be able to have some pages where you
> set bleed manually and some done by the script.
>
> As far as guides and grids showing, there is a setting in File >
> Document Setup > Guides to have them show in the foreground.
>
> Greg

Thanks, Greg! I don't know how I missed the guides...I was right there
looking for it. As for the script, I did a test document, but ran into this
bug issue:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "", line 8, in
  File "/usr/share/scribus/scripts/BleedAndPrintMarks.py", line 747, in
    main()
  File "/usr/share/scribus/scripts/BleedAndPrintMarks.py", line 195, in main
    saveDocAs(tmpFileName)
ScribusException: Failed to save document.

So, I may just go ahead and do them all manually (unless someone has a very
quick fix for this). I have not done much work and I can apply a master page
to a lot of them, so I don't think it will be too bad. Anything I'm
overlooking here? All the advice from everyone has been very helpful so far!