[scribus] putting Scribus on a CD

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Apr 16 22:00:01 CEST 2009

Gregory Pittman wrote:
> Here is something I've never tried and not sure if it would work...
>
> Someone at work is wanting to use Scribus on her Windows computer at
> home. Unfortunately she has a dialup connection and the download won't
> work.
>
> 1. Is it possible for me to download from Sourceforge and put it on a CD
> for her? Will that work?
> 2. Is it possible to run Scribus from a CD? This might allow her to use
> it at work, where the computers won't allow users to install software.
>
> Greg

USB stick will probably work much better. I personally use
portableapps.com to give a nice little launch menu. I don't think
scribus has been packaged for their setup yet, but there's an easy
workaround as long as no registry entries are required.

Here's what I do(tested with Inkscape)
1. Install portableapps, just the 1MB version with the menu is enough.
2. Install your app on a machine, then copy the app folder(probably in
C:Program File) to the usb drive,  putting the folder under the
portableapps folder on the usb drive. Any exe in the top level of the of
this folder will show up on the menu once you refresh.

Speed will be significantly faster as long as you have usb 2.0, and you
can keep files on it. Plus I'm not sure if scribus has any config files
that get modified, if so you'd need the writable media.

Alex