[scribus] Cover Design

wingsgroup techsupport at wingsgroup.org
Fri Apr 24 16:52:00 CEST 2009

Bugzilla from doc.evans at gmail.com wrote:

> wingsgroup said the following at 04/24/2009 06:26 AM :
>> These seems like it should be simple...but, how do I go about designing a
>> book cover? How do I get the layout for the back and the spine?
>
> This is a lulu question, right?
>
> Assuming that the answer is Yes, then the lulu one-piece cover manager
> will
> tell you the exact dimensions they want for the cover, including the spine
> details.
>
> The one tricky part is that they require 0.25" of extra size in both
> dimensions (presumably because of possible errors when cutting the cover),
> which means that when you design the cover you have to be prepared for
> that
> much slop in where things are going to appear in the final printed cover.
> In particular this means you have to be a bit careful about text on the
> spine, and not let it be too close to the edge.
>
> (FWIW, this slop is the one part of the entire lulu process that I find
> very annoying and I wish there was some way they could provide a way so
> you
> could submit a cover and know *exactly* where everything was going to
> appear.)
>
> If you have other lulu questions (again, assuming this is a lulu
> question),
> it might be better to ask privately, since it's a bit OT here.
>
>   Doc
>
> --
> Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

I just couldn't figure out how to set it up in Scribus to show the spine and
back cover, but from what you're saying, I guess I just do one big page with
their dimensions? I had tried making a three-fold document in the document
setup, but nothing happened. But, if I understand you correctly, it sounds
like this is more of a Lulu question than I realized. lol. I'll e-mail you
privately. ;-)

Thanks!