[scribus] Newbie Mac User

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Mon Aug 3 02:33:53 CEST 2009

John Culleton wrote:
> On Sunday 02 August 2009 08:10:43 am John Beardmore wrote:
>> Jeffrey Silverman wrote:

>>> ... I suggest Ubuntu, or, possibly even better,
>>> Linux Mint, which is like Ubuntu++, but is just a bit less well
>>> known.
>> So what is it with Mint ?  I've seen it highly praised in a
>> number of places, but when I've looked at the mint web site, it
>> mostly seems to boast about not being geeky and having a nice
>> colour scheme. Technical stuff is not prominently displayed. I'm
>> all for not putting off lay users, but...
>>
>> I assume if it's like U++ there's more to it than that ?  Is
>> there a technical edge ?  Better testing ?  Fewer bugs ?
>>

>> Cheers, J/.
>
> Try the Slax (note spelling) self loading disk (downloadable free)
> if you are a programmer type.  Or put Slackware itself on a spare
> partition.
>
> Been using Slackware since the 1990s.  All the tools needed to
> compile the latest Scribus are there by default.  I do an update to
> e1.3.5 now and then, but use 1.3.3.13 for production.

Had a look on the web site. It looks interesting, but no official 64 bit
port is a bit of a shame.

We've gone to 64 bit to loose the shackles of the 4 gig of RAM. The
paradox is that it's under XP that we're short of memory, and under
Linux that we can easily do something about it.

Cheers, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor