[scribus] Trying to get 1.3.5 to put on Ubuntu machine

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Aug 14 04:55:47 CEST 2009

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 19:05:01 -0600
StevenD <daytonmeister at gmail.com> dijo:

> Anyway I guess I will just wait a while. It would be nice to download
> and install the latest version using the Add/Remove dialog or the
> Synaptic Package Manager. By the way is there a way to update the info
> in the Synaptic Package Manager so it will get the latest version? Maybe
> this is off topic.

I recall you are new to Linux (Ubuntu) and were having issues figuring
out Synaptic. I would suggest that learning about Synaptic and package
management should be moved toward the top of your list of things to be
learned. It will make life in Linux a lot easier.

To get the latest Scribus, you will want to add two repositories. The
instructions are here:

http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Getting_Scribus_on_Ubuntu/Kubuntu_up_and_running

Even that page is not as clear as it could be for a novice. What you
want is to add:

deb http://debian.scribus.net/debian jaunty main non-free
deb-src http://debian.scribus.net/debian jaunty main non-free

To your list of repositories. There are command line options to do this
that old hands will swear are better. In fact, in this case the command
line is no better than doing it with the GUI. Just go to System >
Administration > Software Sources. I think the GUI is pretty clear, but
if you have trouble adding the Scribus and tagancha repositories,
holler back. Oh, and after adding them, Software Sources will yell at
you that you need to update your repository list. Let it do so.

After you have added the above repositories you will automatically find
the latest and greatest version in Synaptic. You can figure out if
there is a new version by running System > Administration > Update
Manager. Do note, however, that sometimes you will read about a brand
new release here on the list and it won't be in the Scribus and
tagancha repositories for a day or two. That's because there is only
one person in charge of uploading them and sometimes he gets busy. It's
hard to get stuff done when you have a life.